If you’ve ever followed anyone who is into health and fitness, they probably talk about meal prep and show you how to meal prep. I recently heard from my husband that a friend of his, who is interested in joining our health and fitness community, had never even heard of meal prepping, so I thought to myself, maybe other’s need to know why meal prep is so easy and important, and how to do it… Here are my top 5 reasons to meal prep (and don’t worry, I have plans for next week to share my weekly meal prep plans)
- It saves time! I make a plan on usually Saturdays or Sundays and then go shopping for the week. It takes me a total of two hours I would say to make the plan, go to the store, and put the food away. I don’t have to do any more thinking and I don’t have to take extra trips to the grocery store. This may look different if you live in NYC for instance though. If you do go to the grocery store more than once a week, you go in with a plan and leave with what you need. The meal planning makes it less likely for you to buy random junk.
- It saves money! Now I’ll be honest – we have been known to waste some food since we meal prep for the week (and would love suggestions to avoid this), which drives me crazy (and something we’re working on), but we eat out less and we order less. When I wasn’t so into meal prepping, we would eat out regularly or order delivery more than once a week… While I still love a good take out night and a good date night, we plan those… It no longer becomes a random choice to enjoy someone cooking for us, and we honestly enjoy it more and we save money by not eating out so much. Plus we’re finding ways to enjoy take out tasting food with less calories and more importantly, less sodium.
- Mornings go faster! My husband and I eat the same thing each week for breakfast so we just grab and go. Almost regularly I have an egg bake made for him that he can just take and heat up at work. For me, I like to switch it up weekly, but I like to eat the same thing each day in a week. This week is overnight oats and I just grab and go.
- You’ll be more likely to try something new. When I have a lot of time to meal prep, I always find really exciting new recipes and avoid the mundane same 5 recipes. While I definitely have my go to meals, we’ve come across some amazing recipes that both my husband and I cook.
- The obvious one – it’s healthier! We know what we are eating, when we’re eating, and have more control of what we’re eating. We’re able to plan for our dietary needs right now and not hope that there is healthy food in the house to eat.
The best part is it is easier than it looks. Meal prep can be as simple as cooking up some protein, chopping some veggies, and prepping some breakfast.
Thinking about posting my weekly meal prep recipes and plans? Let me know if that is something you’d be interested in reading!