(Gotta love the image… this is what happens when you post to Insta Stories and don’t save the photo first)
I always work to find and make healthy and quick delicious meals for the weekday! Most days I get home after 7 pm and want to be in bed before 10, so my goal is to make it quick and simple! I’ve also been working on eliminating carbs at dinner and finding alternatives!
Since my honeymoon, I’ve lost 8 pounds and am 0.4 away from wedding weight (hoping to be at wedding weight at my weigh-in Saturday). One of the biggest things that has helped me is no carbs at dinner and mostly veggies instead. Carbs give you energy so you don’t need them to sleep. Veggies on the other hand get you full and the little protein I add keeps me full until the next day!
So here is a healthy version of chicken cacciatore that can be made in 1 pot and in less than 30 minutes (and even less time if you buy precut things)
- 1-2 pounds of chicken breast, cut into bite stir pieces
- 1 tbsp oil (I used coconut oil, but olive oil works well too)
- 1 onion, cut
- 2 peppers, cut
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small potato (I added this because it came in our CSA this week but totally does not need it)
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- Basil, salt, pepper
- Heat oil in large skillet or wok… add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add onion, pepper, and garlic and cook for additional 3-4 minutes, or until veggies begin to soften
- Add tomatoes, optional potato, and eggplant. Season with salt and pepper and basil… I used a few pieces of fresh basil but dried would also work
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until eggplant is soft… Enjoy!
- My husband and I love hot sauce so we naturally put some in
- The tomatoes make it a little liquidy, which I like and the broth is delicious! You can serve this over a veggie rice like cauliflower rice or brown rice if you are eating carbs at dinner
- Feel free to add any veggie to this dish! The original recipe I got this idea from (The Beachbody Blog) had mushrooms and zucchini.