My boyfriend and I are runners so when it is Friday night and we have to run 11 miles in the morning, I have to get creative on meals that will give us carbs, but help up stick with this lifestyle… hence Paleo Shepard’s Pie!
- 2 lbs of grass fed beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 pepper, chopped
- Any other veggies you wish.. I added some zucchini since we had some left in the house
- 1 6 – ounce can tomato paste (watch the ingredients to make sure nothing artificial is in it)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 4 – 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 CAN of coconut milk
- Salt & pepper
- Butter for flavor
- 1 – 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into fourths. Put into boiling water and cook until soft
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the meat with the garlic and coconut milk
- Once the meat is browned, remove it from the pan and set aside. Leave fat from meat in the pan and use it to cook the vegetables. Cook until the onions are translucent
- Add the meat back to the pan, add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, thyme, and salt. Cook 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Pour meat mixture into a large baking dish (I used a 9 x 13)
- When sweet potato is soft, drain water, use a hand masher to get it the consistency you wish. Then add the coconut milk, some butter, and salt and pepper. Mash together.
- Put sweet potato mixture over meat mixture. Put in over for 20 minutes or until the sides are bubbling and the center is hot.